8. October 2008 09:20
I came across a very annoying problem recently where I was using management studio to connect to a hosted SQL Server (2005) and I wasn't connecting as a sysadmin as I didn't have access to all DBs on the server.
Under SQL Management Studio 2005 I could connect to the server and expand the databases node to see all databases. But under Studio 2008 when I tried to expand the databases node I got the following error:
After a bit of searching I found a fix for it here. The fix was to press F7 to view the object explorer and only have the name, date created, policy health and owner columns displayed. This fixed the issue but didn't tell me which column was initially causing the error.
After some trial and error, it turns out that the collation column causes the issue.
Glad to get that fixed as I was having to use Management Studio 2005 whenever I needed to connect to the hosted server.